Monday, July 4, 2011

Victorian Mod Podge Serving Tray



Today I made something pretty and functional. Not only does this mod podge tray reflect my love of all things Victorian, it has potential to be a functional household piece. To make this project you'll need a wooden tray, either hand made or store bought, various paper designs (I cheated a little and designed mine on one single piece of scrapbook paper), non-toxic school glue (like Elmer's), acrylic paint, and mod podge.



First I painted the entire tray brown. The fun part comes after the brown layer of paint dries. This is the step where you create the crackle effect! Forget about buying expensive crackle medium at a craft shop... we're going to create the crackle using school glue and acrylic paint! So instead of explaining the steps I'm going to include a link to the youtube video that I used to learn this method.  It's super easy!

http://youtu.be/wGmyHB83tOI

After the crackle finished dried I simply added mod podge to the bottom of the tray and smoothed my image onto the tray. It was initially smooth, but buckled some in the drying process. Eh... it happens and I think it gives the tray a little additional character. Some day this tray will look very nice on an antique vanity table, but until that time comes it's going to look nice as a decorative piece on any table. Below are a sample of the images used in my design piece.

The image is from fellow blogger "The Graphics Fairy."


Monogram representing my name, Amy.

Victorian angel.
Finished product.
Front view.

No comments:

Post a Comment