Thursday, February 24, 2011

Easter Tussie Mussie.

Sorry for the lack of updates, but I haven't been feeling very creative in the past couple of weeks. I attribute most of that to the weather because warmer weather wrecks havoc on my sinuses, but you aren't here to read about the perils of Amy. You're here, hopefully, to see and discuss curiosities and crafts.

So speaking of crafts... I spent a little downtime this evening to create a quick and simple favorite craft of mine, the Victorian tussie mussie. I apologize now because I did not take progression photos, but I opted to create while sitting in bed and watching my current favorite television program, "The Vampire Diaries." I know, I know... I promised to take progression photos, but tussie mussies are super simple to create and the steps, I think, can be described in good enough detail without any accompanying photos. First, I will show you the end result and then describe the few, simple steps it took to create this Easter project.


This tussie mussie is slightly unlike others I have made because I began with a piece of scrapbooking paper that was pre-cut with a decorative edge. If you look at the top of the tussie mussie you will see the scalloped design. The paper, also embossed, was round in shape so all I had to do was roll the piece of paper into a cone shape.

First I printed Victorian images I found on the internet on the textured scrapbook paper I've used on previous projects. I cut the designs using scissors and an X-acto knife. On the large image I detailed the edge with decorative ribbon that I folded into pleats and sealed with a hot glue gun. To cover where the two pleated pieces come together I glued an egg/banner design that I had typed Happy Easter on using a photo editing program. I attached the completed piece to the front, middle of the tussie mussie.

Because I didn't want to cut the decorative scrapbook paper I used to create the cone I had a small opening in the bottom of the tussie mussie that is normally closed on my regular tussie mussie design. To fill the void I cut a small pink rose from a bunch I had purchased for crafting and used craft feathers to further fill the opening until the feathers were full and fluffy.

Instead of gluing the ribbon used to hang the tussie mussie I took a hole punch and made corresponding holes on each side and knotted large ivory ribbon through each hole. I took scissors and cut a V pattern into the ends of the ribbon to create a more polished look.

So that's my simple tussie mussie. I have began making them for every holiday so expect to see many more in the future. Also, keep checking back as I have a few other Easter craft ideas floating around in my head and I promise I will try to take progression photos on future Easter projects. Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment